Welcome to CFCI
The Cape Fear Center for Inquiry (CFCI) is a public charter school located in Wilmington, NC. As a charter school we are funded by the state of North Carolina and do not charge tuition. We are not a part of New Hanover County School System, but rather function as our own small school system. We have a board of directors that makes policy and hiring decisions. We do not discriminate in admission.
Cape Fear Center for Inquiry is committed to promoting students’ abilities to think and create in personally meaningful ways through an inquiry-based, integrated curriculum in a nurturing and empowering environment.
CFCI will foster academic and social inquiry based learning by enriching the state curriculum. We will facilitate research, communication and action through:
• community partnerships
• environmental education
• global connection
CFCI students will LEARN while at CFCI, SHARE their experiences, and LIVE as empowered, thinkers, learners, inquirers and good people in the world.
Inquiry Is A Rigorous Discovery Process Driven By Curriculum And Curiosity That Requires Exploration, Analysis And Problem-Solving.
At CFCI, we believe that the whole child is more important than any single factor. We recognize physical, intellectual, emotional and social development as integral parts of each child’s growth and learning process.
- Focus on student inquiry because we believe that all children have an innate sense of wonder.
- Design and provide hands-on, integrated and exciting learning experiences- through classroom and field experiences- because children learn best when they are actively engaged in making personally meaningful connections.
- Are committed to a small student-teacher ratio because this is the best way to create communities of learners.
- Nurture our students to be independent, lifelong learners by increasing responsibility for their learning,
- Appreciate diversity among learners because we value the uniqueness of each child.
- Actively prepare our students to become effective communicators, critical thinkers and creative problem solvers because problem solving is a natural part of everyday life.
- Implement a comprehensive social curriculum because children learn best in a safe and caring environment where every child is respected and valued.
- Rely on mutual support of home, school and community. Communication and family involvement are vital to ensuring student growth. We agree that nurturing and educating children are monumental tasks that require collaborative efforts.