“Unless someone like YOU cares an awful lot, NOTHING is going to get better, It’s not.” ~ The Lorax
Students and Faculty at the Cape Fear Center for Inquiry are gearing up for one of the biggest service learning opportunities the City of Wilmington has ever seen. The K-8 Charter school is partnering with local businesses to complete service projects across the Wilmington area for SHARE MONTH during March. The entire school community is studying the book The Lorax by Dr. Seuss and tying real life service learning into the “Unless….” theme. Each grade level will do a similar project and the school is taking on school-wide projects which include making cards for New Hanover Regional Medical Center, cards for Veterans, and a campus cleanup. The school community is also one of the sponsors and largest participating group for the 2014 Coastal NC Run/Walk for Autism on March 29th. The school is also working with the Cape Fear Volunteer Center and tying in with Global Youth Service Day in April. The additional projects that will take place during the month of March include:
- Kindergarten- Cereal drive for Good Shepherd partnered with PNC
- 1st Grade- Teddy Bear Drive for Kids partnered with Wilmington Police Department
- 2nd Grade- Pet donations drive and making pet beds partnered with the NHC Animal Shelter
- 3rd Grade- Planting at the Ability Garden at the Arboretum partnered with Trader Joe’s
- 4th Grade- Making blankets for children partnered with the Carousel Center
- 5th grade- Singing, sharing, visiting with residents at Wilmington Health and Rehabilitation Center partnered with Coldwell Banker-Seacoast Reality
- 6th Grade- Sort and collect food for Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard partnered with Wilmington Downtown, Inc.
- 7th Grade- Beach Cleanup partnered with Indojax Surf School
- 8th Grade- Prepare butterfly garden for new Larva hosts with Airle Gardens partnered with Lowe’s Home Improvement in Monkey Junction.
We are excited to host a Community Wide Celebration on our CFCI campus located at 2525 Wonder Way, Wilmington, NC 28401 on April 1, 2014 from 5:00-7:00pm! We will celebrate what we learned from our service projects and how what we did tied into our community wide book study of The Lorax by Dr. Seuss.